Cathedral of Granada
The construction of the Cathedral of Granada began in 1518 in the centre of the old Muslim Medina, the work lasted two centuries. Originally it was to be a Gothic cathedral but Diego Silo├ę, who was put in charge of the construction in 1528 until his death in 1563, introduced the Renaissance style. Outside, notice St Jerome's door and the Pardoner's door to which Silo├ę added his contribution. Alonso Cano designed the monumental main facade in 1667. On the buttresses, the shields of the Catholic Monarchs and of Charles V are magnificent. Inside admire the ┬źcapilla mayor┬╗, richly decorated, the silver tabernacle, in the centre of the sanctuary, the great supporting arch which links the chancel to the nave and the attractive 18C organs as well as the magnificent north door of the Royal chapel, an Isabeline Gothic work embellished by Enrique Egas.
Not to be missed are the chapel of the Virgin's passions, where the great marble retable of the Virgin's passions was only installed in the trascoro in 1926 ; the chapel of Our Lady of Antiquity, where a superb 15C statue of the Virgin and child stands in the middle of a Baroque retable from the start of the 18C by Pedro Duque Cornejo. In the ambulatory, there is an interesting collection of liturgical works from the 16C to the 18C. The Cathedral museum has a small statue of the Virgin of Bethlehem, a bust of the Virgin and child by Pedro de Mena, as well as a bust of St Paul by Alonso Cano and you will see a delicate statue of the Virgin in the sacristy.